Published: 07/03/2011 | Modified: 06/06/2014, 11:35 am

Examples of assistance provided in finding a place to stay or live in, and general information on housing formalities (lease, rent, deposit, rights and obligations, etc.)

Finding accommodation in a new setting is a big challenge for mobile researchers and their families. This fact is apparent in the EURAXESS data collection: accommodation is—after funding and entry conditions—one of the most commonly requested topics. In 2010, approximately every seventh enquiry was related to housing.

Many countries offer a broad range of publications and websites containing comprehensive information on housing (e.g. Austrian Government HELP-Service for Foreign Citizens; Living in Switzerland, in 11 languages)

Only up-to-date and well-structured information should be linked or mentioned in information material and on national portals. If there is local information provided in the national language only, ESCs should translate the main information into English. In general, personal assistance in finding accommodation is very important.

A best practice example in this field can be found in France (; see France 2): the LoCP offers rooms for foreign researchers in addition to other helpful services for researchers and research organisations.

In other cases, universities/host organisations provide rooms for rent for their guest researchers, such as the guest houses and international meeting centres for scientists and scholars (IBZ) established by the Humboldt Foundation.